Monday, June 7, 2010

We Are Building A House

I cannot even tell you how excited I am! After 5 weeks of waiting...and waiting...and waiting... we have finally been approved for our loan and we are going to build a home! Our home! We are going to live in a house...our own house. Let me just say it one more time because I am so excited---A HOUSE! OUR VERY OWN HOUSE! yippi! I mean YIPPI!

So here it is, 2,508 sq feet of pure house....on .21 of an acre built in beautiful Saratoga Springs:



We are going to be doing a Self Help Housing program through Rural Housing Development Corporation. Which in a nutshell means we will be building it ourselves. We will be in a group with 6 other families. All 6 homes have to be sold before we can start building (so far we have 4 families) and all 6 homes have to be completed before we can move in. Each family is required to put in 35 hours of work each week until all the homes are completed. Which estimates at about 9 ish months. But it really varies depending on how hard you and your neighbors work ;--) And we are going to work HARD!

I found out about it from the girl I visit teach (her name is Abby). She mentioned the program to me, and I mentioned it to David, and now we are going to be neighbors! ha ha. It's funny how things work out.

Because we are building it ourselves, we will have a very small downpayment and we will not be required to pay mortgage insurance, and we also don't have to start making any kind of payments until we move in. Our mortgage will be subsidized (because this is a program set up to get low income families into homes), so our house payment will actually be quite a bit lower than what we are currently paying in rent, plus our home will be energy star rated so we should have very reasonable utility payments! We are close to schools, close to parks, and we will be the last house on a dead end street. It is going to be wonderful!

I am just so excited! This is just soooooo perfect for us in every way imaginable! Here is a little video about the homes they built in Provo a few years back...and if you know of anybody who is looking for a house...I am in need of 2 more neighbors!!!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my goodness. That is so so SO exciting! Congratulation!!

Seriously... SO exciting!

I'm so happy for you (and also jealous :))!

Unknown said...

That is great news! That is awesome you get to literally build yourself! I hope you get 2 more buyers fast! Oh and seersucker is just a type of cotton fabric that tends to make skirts full! You see seersucker everywhere during the summer on the store racks.. I love to use it for skirts

Unknown said...

Hooray! What a great way to get a start for you family. It seriously feels so good to be in your own house. And, since you're building it, you'll know all the secrets about your house. There won't be anything that someone did without your knowledge. Good for you, and GOOD LUCK!