So, it all started out so fun! It was raining, and Audrey and I were playing in it. She was laughing, I was laughing. ha ha ha. he he he. ho ho ho. Grandma even ran out in the rain. Such Fun!
And then it started to really rain, and I thought hmm. I'm going to take a look in the backyard. (don't ask me why I wanted to look in the backyard but I am going to call it inspiration!) As I opened the door I glanced over to the side of the house and noticed that the window wells had about a foot of water in them! I ran downstairs and found a river gushing in through our bathroom window AND our bedroom window. I ran inside and screamed for help and Grandma and Clair came out and we bailed water with buckets and then rigged up a little something to keep it out. We didn't know what to do, we were throwing buckets out and they were just coming right back in because our garden (which we now know was not very strategically placed) was flooded. We dug a trench and I put towels in the gutter (because there is a low spot in the gutter and it was just dumping into our windows!. oh my. we were wet. and soggy. and yuck! This is actually our second rigging---the first one didn't work for very long. Lets just say we have all learned a very valuable lesson about garden placement and rain gutter upkeep! And maybe we should have sand bags in our emergency storage??? =)
We had to rip up all of the carpet because we couldn't get the water out of the mat. When we pulled it up we found that the bottom of the carpet was all molded...and it was black (I think I heard somewhere that that is really bad?) So maybe it will be okay that it has to all be replaced.
Our NEW Bedroom!!! Hopefully not for too long.
5 comments:
Remember when we lived in the basement and it was raining really bad and started to fill the window well, so I climbed on the roof in the lightning to unclog the rain gutter? Fun times.
ACK!!! Black mold is REALLY not good, you can get very, very sick from it!! So it's a good thing the carpet came up! Yikes I'm so sorry about your flooding! But...at least you got to play in the rain out of it, right?? :)
It seems like there is a lot of flooding going on. We had flash flood warnings last night and have always been grateful to live on the third floor of our apartment complex (whatever complex it might be at the time). Hmmm...I hope our soon to be new house is okay from last nights flooding in VA. Too bad we can't go check. I'm very sorry to hear about your flooding that is never never fun. But playing in the rain is and I've never done that with Adam before.
I am so sorry Anne! I have heard so many horror stories of basements flooding like that. I hope the damage isn't going to be too costly. Good luck!
Oh My,Oh My,Oh My! Floods, Black Mold, Tumbling Tomatoes... Anything else? I'm so sorry!
Hey I just found your awesome blog through Leslie's tonight. I'm so glad to have a way to keep up with you a little more! I miss our days together in Rexburg. Keep the posting up! Hopefully a few more happy things will come your way.
Post a Comment