Wednesday, January 23, 2013

42 Days Without Sugar

So, I thought I would do a little update on my goal to go off sugar:

I can't believe I have gone without Sugar for 42 days already...

1. My headaches are almost completely gone. In fact I don't think I have had one at all this week. And that thought makes me smile. BIG. Sometimes I literally go to bed and I am amazed by how great my head feels. Even when it is late or early in the morning, even if I am tired, and normally my head would be pounding from the lack of sleep...it isn't. Sometimes I don't want to sleep because I just want to lay in bed and feel nothing. It feels amazing to feel nothing but my body being able to be completely rested and not hurting. It feels weird, and yet amazingly good. I haven't felt this way in so long (maybe ever)...it almost feels unreal.  Who knew a person could feel so...uh...healthy! After 3 1/2 years of headaches...wow.

2. It wasn't my goal to lose weight, but I have officially lost 12 lbs. Now, that is a nice side effect! I weighed myself about a week and a half ago. The shirt I bought the day before I weighed myself is now too big-so I know I have lost more. I just don't own a scale so I can't confirm :) Though it is a little sad to not fit into my brand new clothes, my body feels so much healthier, and I think it is looking healthier too. After having Juliette I didn't lose a single lb of baby weight (hello to my new 35 lbs of extra weight) and in fact at my 6 week appointment I had gained weight. (tack on another few pounds). So this is a VERY good thing!

3. I have a TON more energy, though I have also been trying to give myself permission to sleep more if I am tired...and that has helped a lot. I keep telling David that if Juliette would start sleeping through the night, I would feel incredible, that nothing could stop me! I'm only getting maybe 6 hours of sleep at night...I bet it would make a HUGE difference if I could get 8. HUGE.

4. Juliette is gaining weight. Again, I can't prove it because I don't have a scale...but my skinny 5 percentile baby feels like she is getting a lot heavier. I guess if you feed mom better, baby will grow better too...I am excited for her 9 month appointment in March. And hoping a little extra weight will help her sleep better at night...

5. I am learning (slowly) how to feed myself and my family better. I have learned that while going off sugar is a GREAT thing, there are a lot of other things out there that should also be avoided. Basically I'm trying to not eat any foods containing any kinds of chemicals. I have had to throw a lot of stuff away. And I am still determining what things I feel comfortable eating. I have questions about the benefits of organic foods, and better quality meats and dairy.  Right now I am primarily eating a plant based diet, and only eating meat once or twice a week. My dairy consumption is way down, and I must admit that I have a lot more questions than answers, but slowly I think I am figuring things out. I have concerns about eating healthy, and also being able to eat healthy on a budget. There have been some very frustrating days where I felt like my new way of eating was too overwhelming, too time consuming, too hard, and I have definitely tried some awful new recipes, and that has been frustrating. But overall I feel optimistic. Some days I just want to lick my plate because I can't believe how yummy vegetarian enchiladas are or I want to guzzle down my kale powered almond milk smoothie. And who would have thought my daughter would ask for seconds when I served her up a big plate of Quinoa stuffed tomatoes and brussels sprouts?!?! In fact, lets not kid here...who would have thought I would have liked it??? (Emerson on the other hand is another story...)

6. Speaking of trying to get rid of the chemicals in my food...who knew the chemicals in household cleaners and cosmetics could be so dangerous? I just watched a documentary about the risk of using all of these things in our homes and on our bodies (talk about things that cause cancer...ugh). I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, but also ready for change. If taking chemicals out of my food can make me feel this good, I wonder how much better I will feel after taking the chemicals out of my home and off of my skin. Last night, instead of slathering my dry cracking hands with chemical filled lotion or Vaseline I rubbed them down with Coconut oil. This morning they feel amazing...plus they taste good. :-) he he.

7. I have noticed that I crave sugar when I am stressed, tired, upset, frustrated, anxious etc. and I am having to learn new methods of coping. (no more stuffing my face with brownies in order to artificially make myself feel better...) I've got a lot more to learn (especially about dealing with my emotions). Concerning just the cravings I have learned that it is better to say "I can eat it but I don't want too" vs."I can't eat it." I guess it makes it feel more like a choice (which it is) vs. a rule that can't ever be broken (how daunting). I have decided that I really can eat anything I want, whenever I want as long as I honestly answer the following question first: will I feel the way I want to feel after I eat it? Believe me when I say, that question has stopped me in my tracks more than once, especially when I am someplace where yummy goodies are redly available and calling screaming my name. There is nothing better (for me) than not having a headache, and for me, so far, a cookie hasn't been worth the risk. When having a craving it also helps to say "I will have _____ tomorrow." or "I will have _____ on my birthday." It somehow seems to trick my body into not feeling deprived. The thing is that usually tomorrow the craving is past and I don't want it anymore. yay!

Anyhow, I feel like I have embarked on an exciting adventure of learning how to take care of myself better, emotionally and physically. And I am very excited for what the next 11 months will bring. Booyah!!!

No comments: