Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Review

To the Rescue:  The Biography of Thomas S. MonsonTo the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson by Heidi S. Swinton

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I absolutely loved reading about the Prophet of the LDS church. I learned so much about him that I didn't know before...and let me just say he is an amazing person. Anybody (from any faith) would do well to try to be more like him! He really does go to the rescue of those that need him. He truly loves and cares for others...and it is amazing to read about how he goes about doing it. It really is inspiring.



Here are a few quotes from the book that I particularly like:



"I am a very simple man. I just do what the Lord tells me to do."



"When you honor a prompting and then stand back a pace, you realize that the Lord gave you the prompting. It makes me feel good that the Lord even knows who I am and knows me well enough to know that if He has an errand to be run and prompts me to run the errand, the errand will get done."



"We're in the Lord's hands, He'll take care of it. Do the best you can and don't worry."



"The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world's busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the 'spirit of Christmas,' we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the 'Spirit of Christ.'"



"A man has but three things: His God, his family and his friends" ~ Louis C. Jacobsen



"When I go and visit my parents, I know I am loved, I am complimented, I am made welcome, I am home--and that is the way it is going to be in the eternities." ~ his daughter Ann



"Of all the blessings Elder Monson treasures in his life, he has said that one of the greatest is 'that feeling which the Lord provides when you know that He, the Lord, has answered the prayers of another person through you."



"He felt very strongly that if he were to lead the members of his ward, he would have to have a better knowledge of the scriptures"



"The Lord has said this: 'Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect' He would not give us commandments we could not fulfill. We can become perfect in our love of God. We can become perfect in the payment of our tithing. We can become perfect in living the Word of Wisdom. We can become perfect in our home teaching. In other words, all of those degrees of perfection are within our reach...we know what we must do."



Whosoever will save his life shall lost it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. President Monson has concluded " I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives."



"seek the abundant life". Wishing will not make it so, he says. "The Lord expects our thinking. He expects our action. He expects our labors. He expects our testimonies. He expects our devotion."



"I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family."



View all my reviews

No comments: