Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 6

This week has been pretty rough out at the houses... it started out with a whole lot of shoveling, and when I say a whole lot...I mean a WHOLE LOT! I mean so much, that I actually drove home bawling after 2 days and 10 hours of straight shoveling. I was soooo discouraged. We (Kassie & I) shoveled at least 2 feet of snow out of Lot 2 and Lot 3 which don't yet have roofs. And then we started in on my basement....this is a picture of it when we were almost done (some of the drifts were up past my knees):

It all had to be shoveled into the window well, and then shoveled out of the window well into the yard...And then when we were done with that we started in on Lot 4...which just had tarps down because the basement hadn't actually been pored yet... we didn't get too far into it (we guessed about 35% ish) before we gave up and went home...and thank goodness some of the guys, and some volunteers came out to finish up the job...all I can say, is I will never ever EVER complain about shoveling a sidewalk or a driveway again: (ever.)


Anyhow, I am feeling much better now. I have given myself plenty of pep talks, and my new motto is "you can only do what you can do!" and I have got to remember that. Just do my best, and then go home and take a bath. (sigh). This home building thing seems so impossible some days, and yet look at all we accomplished this week: (maybe it can be done...ha ha...I just have to remember to take it one day at a time, and some times just one minute at a time :-) )

Lot 1: All we have left to do is finish fixing a few things that the inspector caught, and then it is just about time for the subs to come sheet rock the inside. (Oh, and check out those doors...yup, they were installed by yours truly...)

Lot 2: This week we have to do all of our punchlist stuff for this house (a whole bunch of random stuff that needs done)...and David of course needs to work on finishing sheeting the roof.

Lot 3: I'm pretty sure this house is going to be doing a lot of hanging out this week, it might get a little sheeting on the roof, not sure though...

Lot 6: We finished greenplate...not that you can really see it from this picture:

And this is MY BASEMENT WALL!!! The wall team has to get the wall up and then my teams goal is to have a floor on my house by next Saturday... I cannot even express how excited I am!

P.S.

I'm not afraid of the powder nailer any more (well, not as afraid of it as I was)! I got a lot of practice with it this week and now that I'm pretty sure it isn't going to blow up in my hands, or kick back and hurt me really bad, I'm ok. ha ha. phew. I'm just out conquering fears...and feeling good! :-)

We set a group goal to finish all of our houses by May 5th...seems so far away, and yet not that far at the same time...I wonder if I will be too tired to plant a garden? :-)

1 comment:

Greg and Nancy said...

Annie, you have given me some perspective. Here I've been whining about having to shovel my monster driveway by myself, but that's nothing compared to shoveling out a basement! It looks like you're doing a great job and I hope that things get easier!!