Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 1

So, David and I have officially survived our first week of building our houses. Or in other words, our first 35 out of the estimated 1,000 hours that will be required! I must admit that I am very very VERY tired (This is a very very Very big understatement). I also have multiple bruises on my legs, some of which are rather large (Who knew my hammer which was just hanging from my tool belt could do so much harm banging against my leg when I walk, and why do I keep bumping my knees on the ladder, and do I really have to climb in and out of the window well 100 times a day?) I also had one very close call with a power drill getting twisted up in my pants...I'm kind of embarrassed about that one, and the fact that I had to tell everyone about it during our "injury confession" section of our group meeting. I have made a mental note to never EVER do that again. :-) hopefully it will be the worst injury I get...oh I'm crossing my fingers!

We are having tons of fun though, and learning a lot...for me, I am especially learning a lot about what NOT to do. Like don't nail the floor joists in before they are flush with the rim board, and make sure you make a chalk line before you go drilling holes in the green plate. you know, stuff like that :-) I also had the opportunity to use a powder nailer which scared the living daylights out of me...whose idea was it to use gun powder to shoot nails into concrete anyway? :-)

It has definitely been an adventure...to say the least. We've been working in rain and mud, and more mud, and more rain...with a few nice days squashed in between and it is HARD! I have a whole new appreciation for construction workers...they are AMAZING, and all of them deserve our respect!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, Our group has a website where we will be putting weekly pictures of our progress. You can check it out by clicking HERE. (Keep scrolling down until you see Lot #1, because that is the house we are currently working on...) There isn't too much to show off yet, but I have a feeling a lot is going to get done this week! Our plan is to be flying trusses next Saturday...and as you can tell, we have a lot to get done before then. So, I'm gonna go sleep! zzz. zzz. zzz.

:-)


1 comment:

painty (Melinda) said...

Oh that is so exciting! I bet you are learni! I might need to hear more details about the power drill...