Monday, August 4, 2008

Youth Conference

So, David and I just got back from a wild weekend at Timberlain campground (down by Price) where we were called to be "Tribal Leaders" at our Stake Youth Conference. We did a re-enactment of the Book of Mormon and I'll tell you it was quite the experience. Everyone had to dress up like Nephites/Lamanites and we were all required to make our own costumes. David worked on his for weeks and he even did embroidery on it! You should click on the picture so you can see the fine details---he was quite proud of it!


While we were there we were in charge of a group of 7 Awesome kids (not just from our ward but a group made from all different wards of the Stake). We were the tribe of the "Feathered Serpents" and we had a lot of fun together. It was amazing to watch these kids change over the 3 days we were gone. Some of them were not so gung-ho to be there but by the end of the conference many of them bore testimony of how great the experience was and how they felt it had truly changed their lives. I have been a Sunday School teacher for the 14-16 year olds for the past 2 years and while I have learned to like that calling I have never felt such a great love for the youth until this past weekend. They amazed me with their testimonies and their Spirits and I felt a change come over me that made me feel truly concerned for their welfare. I LOVE these kids!



The re-enactments of the Book of Mormon started with Lehi's vision and ended with the coming of Christ and then the restoration of the Gospel. It included battle scenes where we fought one another with swords made from pvc and those long "water noodles" you use in the pool. It was amazing to hear from the Youth about the war where the Lamanites came and killed a group of the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. Some of the youth did not recognize the story and when they realized that the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's didn't have any swords to fight back many of them didn't want to go to war with us. (And I'll tell you it was darn scary to watch them charging at us!) The war that touched me the most was the Great last Battle where the Nephites and the Lamanites destroyed one another. We were all "dead" lying on the ground and Moroni, alone, wandered around among us. It broke my heart as I really came to realize that these were real people and because of sin they were destroyed and how heart broken Mormon and Moroni must have been. I also realized the amount of love that Heavenly Father has for us...that he allowed Moroni to live and keep the record and bury it where it would later be brought forth for us!

The most spiritual part of the Youth Conference was when we were all awakened at 3 Am (by bass drums and screaming) to re-enact the coming of Christ. It was an amazing experience followed by a 3 hour testimony meeting. I don't think I have ever been to a more powerful testimony meeting in my entire life!

I am so proud of these kids who gave up a weekend to learn more about the Book of Mormon, and I am very grateful that we were able to go and experience it with them!

6 comments:

emiflute said...

Thanks for posting about your experience, Anne. My testimony of the realness of these stories was strengthened just by reading of it on your blog. David did an awesome job on his costume!

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

I had the chance to do this with my ward when I was 15 but didn't go because I was too shy and scared that I didn't have any friends...such is life. I agree with Emily that your post made me feel the realness of the parts you described! I love the Book of Mormon. I have to say that I'm a little jealous that you were able to go and have such an experience...I want to be called to do something with the youth. Maybe someday...for now I'll do what I've been asked and work with 8-year-old cub scouts. :)

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

I'm glad you had such a great experience. You deserve those, Anne! I'm so proud of you too for being a Sunday School teacher to those kids. I know you were probably really nervous when you first started the calling but bet you have grown to be an awesome teacher now! I want to see you in action!

Shayla said...

Makes me wish I were young again...

Unknown said...

awwhh...you two look adorable...:) You know that really is impressive that David made that costume and even more that he embroidered it. That sounds like something my Dave would do. It's not something any guy would be found caught doing, but I love it when they're not afraid of being out of the ordinary. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, and by the way, I think that experience would really have given me a new perspective. Thanks for sharing yours, it really does shed a new light on the things people must have felt back then. I'm glad you had this opportunity!