Thursday, January 2, 2014

January & A New Diet

If you know me at all…you know I hate January. Someone told me they called January the "Monday of the year" and I whole heartedly agree. It is not good. I have been trying super hard to keep my spirits up…even with all the limitations set before me. But I must admit that I am finding it rather difficult. I wish I could go for a long walk or pull out my step aerobics dvd but this pregnancy is making it hard for me to even walk around the house. It would be nice to clean up and declutter the house…but I am just soooo tired. The thought of even doing something small like cleaning the sink and counters or perhaps packing up a few boxes of Christmas decorations makes me feel exhausted. oh boy. And to top it off…I have chosen January (of all months) to try to cure my gut and completely revamp my diet. So far I'm on day 2 (out of 35) and I feel ornery and hungry and just plain miserable. What am I thinking? If I wasn't desperate to feel better I would wait for summer. But my stomach has been hurting terribly, like someone started a fire inside of it…and going off wheat and dairy for close to 3 months did nothing…so I guess it is time for the next step.

Back in August I went to see an Integrative MD. A doctor that will consider both holistic and medical solutions to health problems. I went to see him about my stomach aches (since I was denied from getting Life Insurance until a doctor could diagnose their cause…) I was so hopeful and excited to get started and finally figure out what was going on (I've had stomach aches now for over 3 years)…and then I found out I was pregnant. Needless to say, I couldn't focus on healing my stomach because I was too busy trying to not throw up. After I started feeling good enough to keep food down, Juliette and I went off wheat and dairy…more in an attempt to help her with some of her health issues, but I thought I would join in too and see if it would also benefit me. It helped her a ton. She went from eating nothing but bananas and pears to eating practically whatever I put in front of her. She also jumped from the 3% in weight to the 25% in just 3 months. But me…it didn't help me at all. Or at least not consistently. One day I would feel better and think "hey, this might be working" and the next day my stomach would be burning and I would be doubled over in pain. I finally gave up with it a few weeks ago…perhaps it was helping more than I gave it credit for because this last week has been pure misery. I hurt so bad I can't walk. So bad I can't sleep.

So I've decided it is finally time to pull out the diet plan given to me by the Dr and give it a go. He told me back in August that he believed I have a very sick gut. Taking sugar out of my diet helped a ton with my headaches because removing sugar helps to starve out the bad bacteria that live in the gut and help improve nutrient absorption which would then help my brain receive the nutrients it needed to function properly without pain…but it still wasn't healed enough to stop the stomach aches or the chronic fatigue. I needed to go a step further…he sent me home with a very strict five week diet plan. With instructions that if I didn't feel "significantly better" after 5 weeks, I should go back to see him. I haven't felt good enough (or motivated enough) yet to stick to it 100%…until now, I guess. But boy, the last 2 days have been hard. If you think giving up sugar or cheese or wheat is hard…try giving up fruit. I feel like I could rip somebody's head off ;-)

So here is is:

Week 1 & 2 

I can eat meats…chicken, turkey, fish, tuna, eggs (no red meat, dairy or pork)

I can eat ALL vegetables…but no potatoes. The best veggies include: mushrooms, leafy greens, artichokes, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, turnips, kale, collard, and water crest. I can eat avocados and tomatoes.

Salad dressings should be made using "bragg's", lemon, garlic, olive oil, tarragon, parsley, basil, paprika, onions, vinegar, pesto, pepper etc.

I can eat nuts and seeds. But no peanuts (they are a legume).

I can drink filtered water, green tea, almond milk and carrot and vegetable juices.

Week 3

I can add fruit back in to my diet! YAY! But only one new fruit a day (to rule out allergies). Best fruits are grapefruit, oranges, kiwis and berries. (I can drink diluted fruit juices…the best fruit juice is pomegranate)

Week 4 

I can add a new legume per day (to rule out allergies). These include peanuts, peas, soy, soy milk and lentils.

Week 5

I can add in grains. A new one every 3 days: corn, brown rice, wheat, pasta, chips, tortillas etc.

***If after 5 weeks I don't feel significantly better then you take out eggs, soy, fish, and nuts…and go from there…

Anyhow, wish me luck. I am not feeling very happy about it at the moment, but I did wake up today without a stomach ache…after just one day of eating this way. So perhaps it will be worth the effort…I hope it helps. I really really really hope it helps. And only 12 more days without fruit…I can do it. Right!?!??

2 comments:

Cellista said...

It sounds awful!!!! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this on top of being pregnant, and in January!!

I feel for you with the no fruit thing. I haven't been able to eat fruit during this pregnancy or fresh vegetables. I do okay with cooked and teeny tiny amounts of fruit like one apple slice only. I'm dying for a salad. I've only had salad about 3 times since June and I've regretted it every time. That may be what I'm most looking forward to at the end of this pregnancy. Well, that and a baby. :)

Hope you can figure you out. Lots of love--

Kristiana

Jess said...

Oh Anne, this sounds miserable. But you can do hard things! You inspire me with all these positive changes you've made in your diet. I want to be more like you! :)